Monday, October 3, 2011

Bittersweet: Kelli's perspective

When my brothers and I were growing up we always had the 64 count box of crayons. That was the box with the randomly named crayons because face it, who can name 64 real colors?

Thinking back I'm not sure why we had crayons when there was never a coloring book or drawing paper in the house. We would use the blank pages in the backs of our books to use our crayons.

There was one crayon that I especially loved.

Bittersweet.

He was a combination of pink, tan, and orange. I don't know if it was the color of the crayon that I loved or if it was the name. All I know is I loved Bittersweet.

Matt and Jeremy knew it too. To torture me, which they loved to do, they would remove Bittersweet from the safety of his box and hide him in different places in the house. And they didn't hide him where an 8-year old could find him. It would've taken a crayon sniffing dog to find that crayon. They put him on top of door frames, in the freezer, and just about anywhere I was too small to reach.

Sometimes they would play "hot and cold" to help me find him.

Sometimes they would wait for me to tell on them.

They never let it go so far that I cried though. Such sensitive guys.

I don't know what ever happened to Bittersweet. For all I know he's still in our childhood house in the last place they ever hid him.

All I know is Bittersweet will always have a place in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic post Kelli! I think we all need crayon sniffing dogs! I love you!

    ReplyDelete