Thursday, December 20, 2012

Boy Scout Brownies: Kelli’s perspective

My daughter, Alexia, asked me the other night if she could make brownies all by herself with no help from me. It reminded me of Matt's first and hopefully only attempt at making brownies.

He was in Boy Scouts and offered to make brownies for the weekly Friday night meeting. Our mother offered to make them, but like my daughter, he insisted on doing it without any help. I sat in the kitchen and watched him mix the batter and fill the brownie pan. He even let me lick the beaters. He did everything right except for one thing.

He did not set a timer.

After the brownies were in the oven for what felt like forever, he remembered to take them out of the oven. He did not allow them to cool. He cut them immediately. I could tell that he was struggling to cut them but he wasn't admitting it. He put them right in a container and set them aside for the meeting.

I am a girl, but for some reason my parents made me attend the meetings with my brothers. Looking back it's probably because the meetings were on Friday nights and it gave them a few child free hours.

We got to the meeting, and I sat in the corner, observing with my step-sister. After the meeting it was time for refreshments. One of the Scouts attempted to bite into a brownie. He could not bite into it. He took the brownie and threw it at the wall. It did not break. All the other Scouts grabbed a brownie and started throwing them at the walls and at each other. My brother's homemade refreshment turned into weapons for recreation.

I really hope my brother hasn't attempted to make brownies.

At least my daughter’s were edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment