Thursday, December 20, 2012

Boy Scout Brownies: Matt’s perspective

I vaguely recall the brownie incident that Kelli describes in her post. In truth, I remember the Great Brownie Battle of Circa 1985 quite well, but I did not recall that the chocolaty ammunition had been provided by me.

Cooking has never been my thing. I lack attention to detail.

I had also forgotten that my sisters made frequent appearances at our Boy Scout meetings.

I probably wanted to forget that fact with every fiber of my teenage being.

Though they weren’t there every week, it was awkward to have your sisters stuffed in the corner while you learned to tie knots and  played capture the flag in the pitch dark. In all my years in Scouting, my sisters were the only girls who ever attended our meetings, and they were also the only non-Scout siblings to be left behind at a meeting.

Of course, this isn’t surprising given the pathetic parenting prowess of our parents. I was babysitting my four younger brothers and sisters until 3:00 AM on most Saturday nights at the ripe old age of nine, so leaving my sisters behind at the Boy Scout meeting (and often telling us to find a ride home) represented an improvement in the level of childcare that we typically received. 

No comments:

Post a Comment